Monday, April 26, 2010

Sulfur Dioxide Plume from Iceland Volcano

The following 2 visualizations show the sulfur dioxide concentration data of the Iceland Volcano from the NASA Aura/OMI satellite sensor. The NASA OMI sensor "can distinguish the differences between cloud, smoke, dust, ozone and other aerosols, and is important in Earth observations for aviation safety." These 2 visualizations in particular caught my attention because these past 2 weeks my car has been at the dealership awaiting a part from Germany and I've been told that the airplane the part is currently on is grounded. Reading the previous posts, I understood the dangers of planes flying around Iceland but didn't understand why planes in Europe were grounded. It wasn't until I saw these images of the plume that I now see how far reaching the volcanic plume is.


No comments:

Post a Comment